It is never too soon to think ahead for an office party dress. Buying one ahead of time is a good way to make sure you have time to make any necessary alterations and to have a better chance of not showing up as someone’s outfit twin.
You can take advantage of the current 35% off Labor Day sale at Banana Republic to pick up these options, which are great for parties hosted in your office right after work.
This one from the Mad Men collection was too large on me (tip: size down from your usual BR size). The material quality and silhouette are worth the price. I think this dress would look great with pearls and can even double as a bride’s maid dress 😉
This is another dress that would look great with pearls. I added the gold belt so that you could see the separation of the ‘skirt’ and ‘top’ of the dress.
- buy pieces that you can wear to more events than just at your holiday party
- choosing dresses of good quality with a muted palette like the 2 above will allow you to change looks with different accessories
- to stand out, do not opt for the traditional holiday colors
- it is better to go with whatever colors flatter your skin tone
- play with textures
- festive dresses do not have to have glitter or metallic colors
- rather than looking like a piece of foil, leave the fun glitz for your accessories, here is where you can play up your jewelry and shoe choices
- do not show too much skin
- if you opt for a short skirt: your top should have long sleeves and you should wear opaque stockings
- if you opt for a sleeveless look with a high neck you can do your usual office skirt length
- if you go with a lower cut neck line you should opt for a longer dress hem and wear a shorter necklace to not add attention to your breasts
- go for a classy and polished look anything sexy should be saved for personal time