How to tell if your designer purse is real
|My Birkin faceoff|
These are authentic 35cm Birkins purchased at Hermès boutiques.
How to spot a fake handbag
Counterfeit Birkins commonly have:
- Handles that are longer than usual
- Floppy handles
- Leather sewn by machines
- Bulges in the leather, particularly on the sides
- Glue showing
- Fake or cheap leather quality
- Deeper stampings and engraved marks
- Wrong accent stamped
- Misaligned interior zipper tags
- Plastic wrapped handles
- Dust bags stitched badly or with poor stamping
- Flimsy clochettes
- Authenticity cards
- Misaligned purse feet
- False guarantees that an Hermès store will authenticate the handbag
- Authenticity hang tags
- Clochettes that are cut too long or not wide enough to fit the other end through it
Real Birkin specs:
- Handles do not collapse
- Impeccable stictching
- Sizes in centimeters: 25, 30, 35, 40, 45
- Hardware: silver palladium, 24k gold plated, ruthenium, and guilloche (for special orders)
- Leathers: come in smooth or textured different varieties
- Box – smooth leather
- Chevre – goat leather
- Clemence – veined like Togo but softer (see my vert veronese/green above)
- Epsom – stamped leather
- Togo – Sturdy heavy leather, like clemence but hold shape better (see orange above)
- Exotic skins
- Niloticus crocodile
- Porosus crocodile
- Along with the usual suspects each season brings about a new crew
- Early retirement may happen to colors, but like Jay Z the colors come back for a round
- Stamps: date stamp letters match the year made and the number is the craftman’s identification
- They come with lock, key, booklet… what’s that? No, it is not a rain jacket. It is two rain jackets specially made for your birkin
- Leather is not cured so your natural oils and other things may discolor it
- These bags can be refurbished sent away to the Hermès spa for a facelift and chemical peel 😉
- Price increases can occur more than once each year
- Educate yourself: visit an Hermès boutique and familiarize yourself with the different leathers
|This is a counterfeit being sold on instagram as authentic.
It shows counterfeits may be dressed in Hermès twillies and have a structured frame.
|These are other fakes by the same seller.
I reported the account after snapping screenshots.
Hermès does not authenticate handbags. SAs do not like to offer the handbag for purchase unless they feel you have a respect or love of their leathers and goods. Hermès does not expect or want their products resold; they want you to purchase directly from them. If you do want authentication from the store you can try to send your bad to the spa or ask to get your initials stamped on the handbag closure. If the handbag is fake it will not be cleaned or stamped.